Making a Hard Link Between On-Prem and Azure-AD Users

When moving from on-prem to 365 you may be left with a .local TLD in addition to a proper public .com or whatever domain. When making a new user in AD you will be able to choose between these two.

Having a mixture of the proper and local TLDs will become a headache at one point or another in your scripts. For me the issue arose while using a script to notify my users of expiring smart card certificates. I have a couple users with long hyphenated names that makes their SamAccountName shorter than their UserPrincipalName and therefore their email (which I wanted to send to) as well.

Long story short I changed their domain in AD from .local to .com and they both became sync issues in O365. I changed them both back to .local and resolved a couple attribute issues and they stopped being issues in the O365 admin panel. Later that night though I got notice of a sync issue in Azure, one of the users was still being a pain.

I opened a ticket with Microsoft, the long and short of which is that since a soft match did not work we needed to do a hard match. A hard match requires setting an “ImmutableId” on the Azure and AD objects.

Process

  1. Check AD for an ID
    1. Open synchronization Service Manage>Metaverse Search>Search using UserPrincipal name and Contains
    2. Double click the User: Under Attributes, there will be SourceAnchor (same as Immutable ID)
    3. Write the above down, you cannot copy it from the table.
  2. Check Azure for an ID
    1
    
    Get-MsolUser -UserPrincipalName <email> | selectImmutableID
    

If you have an ID in AD but not Azure

  1. Set the ImmutableID on the Azure user (Replace the QQ00 below)
    1
    
    Set-MsolUser-UserPrincipalName <email> -ImmutableIdQQ00ApTUDEiiEm5kX==
    
  2. Do a Delta Sync on your Connect server
    1
    
    Start-ADSyncSyncCycle -PolicyType Delta
    

If you have an ID in Azure but not AD

  1. We need to get a Hex value for our immutable ID, we cannot use the ID directly. Run the following replacing the QQ00 ID with our own.
    1
    
    [system.convert]::FromBase64String("QQ00ApTUDEiiEm5kX==") |%{$a += [System.String]::Format("{0:X}", $_) + " "};$result = $null;$result = $a.trimend();$result
    
  2. In the AD Attribute editor update on-premises ms-ds-consistency-guid value to match Hex we got above
  3. Do a Delta Sync on your Connect server
    1
    
    Start-ADSyncSyncCycle -PolicyType Delta
    

Updated: